Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The one before you left me so damaged

How many times have you walked up to a vintage dress and thought, "Oh, this is so cute!" And then on closer examination, notice that it has an unfortunate tear or stain. In some cases, it's a simple fix of Oxyclean or Zout, or maybe a subtle mend. In others, it's irreparable, tragic. A few months ago I found the most beautiful dress I've ever seen in person - a 1980s boutique Bob Mackie gown...with some moderate yellowing on the bottom left side. From what I've seen, these gowns retailed from $5,000 to $15,000 - this one was full length, with tones of gold, beige and cream and thousands of beads and rhinestones (nearly 7 pounds). 100% silk and handmade - I probably see 15-20 besequined and bedazzled dresses a week and there has been nothing like it and I doubt I will see another in my life. I bought it, hoping to revive the dress and have it wow another crowd.

I thought I could shorten the gown and make it into a mini-dress - solving the problem of the stain (silk is so difficult to clean! + beads = impossible). Bob Mackie in fact designed costumes for Tina Turner. But there was something about altering the original design that made me heartsick. Thankfully my mother fit into the gown and decided she would like to wear it as is.

Today, there are many designers that will use vintage clothing to make new clothing, known as reconstructed vintage. Urban Outfitters actually has an entire line devoted to this type of clothing, called Urban Renewal - "totally one-of-a-kind — handcrafted in Philadelphia from vintage, deadstock and surplus materials sourced from around the world." Pretty cool, huh? Although I would rather find a slightly damaged Mackie or Dior dress a good home (who can overlook its subtle flaws) than dare cut up a master's vision.

You may like:


No comments:

Post a Comment