Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The indestructible coat

Today I found a men's wool coat that I am confident would survive a nuclear holocaust. The world would be on fire, and this coat would stand alone. It is solidly woven charcoal gray wool coat made by the Kleinhans in Buffalo, New York. I looked in one of the pockets and saw a faded label which looked like an old union label, except with an eagle on it and the words: "Produced Under the NRA Code Authority." I thought, that's weird, the National Rifle Association has its own manufacturing dress code? It didn't look like any hunting jacket I've ever seen. Eric needed a wool coat to wear over his suits in New York so I bought it for him.

I researched the manufacturing label when I got home. NRA didn't stand for the National Rifle Association, but the National Recovery Administration, one of the New Deal agencies under President Franklin D. Roosevelt. From Britannica.com:

"U.S. government agency established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt to stimulate business recovery through fair-practice codes during the Great Depression. The NRA was an essential element in the National Industrial Recovery Act (June 1933), which authorized the president to institute industry-wide codes intended to eliminate unfair trade practices, reduce unemployment, establish minimum wages and maximum hours, and guarantee the right of labour to bargain collectively."

The NRA was declared unconstitutional in 1935 by the US Supreme Court and these labels were only used from 1932-1935! I hope I look this good at 74+ years.

You may like:
















No comments:

Post a Comment